Savory Cornbread Muffins (mades 5)
1/2 cup organic whole grain cornmeal
1/2 cup organic brown rice flour
1 Tblsp almond meal
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup frozen (or fresh) corn kernels
1/2 tsp cider vinegar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp chili powder (to sprinkle on top)
1/4 tsp kosher salt (rough not fine for tops)
1/8 cup (a handful) sunflower seeds
1. Mix dry ingredients, all except seeds, rough kosher salt and chili powder.
2. Measure and mix wet ingredients.
4. Preheat oven to 350F. Mix wet into dry. This will be a crumbly soft dough, not a batter feel. Spoon clumps into silicone muffin cups, shaping gently with fingers into a mound.
5. Press a few sunflower seeds into the tops of each muffin, sprinkle just a little kosher salt and chili powder on tops.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, testing with a toothpick. Some will eat this with honey, others might dip 'em in their soup!
Addendum: Made these without almond flour, substituted 2 tblsp sorghum flour and added 2 tblsp coconut water... stretched nicely into 6 muffins with just a little encouragement. 8/16/13