Thursday, March 14, 2013

Banana Blueberry Oat Walnut Muffins


I was remembering when my oldest son was a very little guy and we met another family in the park who were eating the most delicious muffins for their playtime snack. The mother had made them, of course, but she was talking about how her skinny little roadrunner of a child wouldn't eat much. She had packed those muffins with nutrition. I asked about it and she told me that she used orange juice and zucchini and applesauce and amaranth and on and on.  This morning I decided to revisit my unsatisfactory blueberry breakfast treat project (you haven't seen that blog because I removed it as soon as I posted it!).  I used a small grated zucchini and a smashed banana, along with a little buckwheat flour and ground up whole oats. My encouragement to grind up my own oats into flour came from another recipe I had run into somewhere. These muffins remain moist because of the zucchini, banana and blueberries. Be sure to let them cool enough before removing the cups. You can let them sit  upside down for a couple minutes to release a little of the internal moisture. But it's hard to resist them when they are still just a little warm. Oh, did I say that one muffin seems to provide 11% of my daily protein?? Here's how it all shook out.

Banana Blueberry Oat Walnut Muffins (makes 6)

2/3 cup rolled oats - grind into flour
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
2 Tblsp flaxseed meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
dash salt
1 Tblsp agave syrup
1 cup grated zucchini 
1 large smashed banana
1/3 cup oat milk
1/3 cup frozen Maine blueberries
1/4 cup walnuts pieces



1. Grind the oats, combine with flour, meal, baking powder and soda and salt. 
2. In a separate bowl, grate the zucchini, smash in the banana, add the agave, oat milk and blueberries.
3. Mix the wet into the dry, until it is one thick doughlike batter. Gently stir in the walnuts. 
4. Over fill 6 muffin cups and bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes.  You must let these cool before trying to remove them from the cups.




Banana Blueberry Oat Walnut Muffins
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 muffin (96g)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Calories
170
9%
Total Fat
6g
9%
Saturated Fat
1g
3%
Trans Fat
Cholesterol
0%
Sodium
194mg
8%
Total Carbohydrate
27g
9%
Dietary Fiber
5g
18%
Sugars
6g
0%
Protein
6g
11%
Vitamin A
0%
Vitamin C
9%
Calcium
8%
Iron
9%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calories needs. Courtesy of cronometer.com using my data.



No comments:

Post a Comment